Thank goodness for students. OSU started their Dspace/Digitization program somewhat in earnest this summer. And a message from our system admin regarding archival disc usage got me wondering how much scanning actually had been done by the students over the past 6-9 months. Not counting digitized images (of which, there was ~15,000), the Digital Production Unit has processed 668.2 GB of finished data, with an additional 260 GB currently scanned an in the staging area waiting for metadata.
Thank god for METS — its been a godsend in terms of having a very simple metadata format to capture the structural metadata of these documents. While we are using a modified version of the spec — I’m so glad that I decided early to at least encode the archives in something (it was the one part of the plan we really hadn’t thought about too much when we started) — because I’ve had to recreate deriviative files a handful of times from the source — and this has made the process much easier to automate.