MarcEdit OSX Public Build #2

By reeset / On / In Uncategorized

Interesting thing about software development — everything can work so great within your own environments, but then be so uneven once they move outside of them.  The variable that changed — real data…and that’s why you make things available for folks to play with.

First, thanks to those that downloaded the preview and gave it a whirl.  I got responses that ranged from — looks great, when will [my favorite missing function] be ported to, I tried click on this button and things crashed.  The crashing was something I didn’t expect — but it was a good lesson in making sure that all user data is validated.  I took for granted that all data passed between the API components would be OK — and it wasn’t, and when it wasn’t, problems ensued, which could not be fixed without resetting the config settings manually (which made me realize I need to ensure this can be done automatically like in the Windows/Linux version).

So, I had a late night ahead of me for some unrelated reasons, and I took a crack and hardening the validation and making the portions of the program that accept user data more fault tolerant.  And, I’m back to the point where I can’t break it…so, I’ll let you all take another crack at it.

If you downloaded the preview yesterday — the first time you open the program, you’ll be notified that a new version is available.  You can click on the download button and follow the link.  Otherwise, you can download the program from the downloads page.

Download Page URL: http://marcedit.reeset.net/downloads
Direct Link: http://marcedit.reeset.net/software/MarcEdit.dmg

Change log is below

–tr

****************************
1.0.7 ChangeLog
****************************
* Bug Fix: Open/Save Dialog Validation — These functions were not validating user data and this was causing problems. These functions now validate data, and if they cannot recover from an error, will simply return a blank value.
* Bug Fix: Run Tasks — Some of the task elements were not running. This has been corrected.
* Bug Fix: Window flashing when running tasks — this still exists a little bit (small flicker), but prior, windows were opening and staying open on each task element.
* Bug Fix: Change File prompt not being run on close – this occurred when an update was made that returned zero results. The value that managed data changes was cleared, and the window was allowed to close without prompt. This has been corrected.
* Bug Fix: The about page wasn’t listing the names that supported this development. This was a regression due to some changes made to how this particular UI component renders. This has been corrected.
* Enhancement: MARC Tools — when select a file to process, the program autofills the save file with the appropriate extension.
* Enhancement: MARC Tools — the Edit File button is now enabled after breaking
* Enhancement: Document Types — I’ve enabled document type support within the program. The application does not yet self register file extensions to the application, but if you associate the .mrc or .mrk files with the application, it will now handle opening these files correctly.