MarcEdit 6.1 Update

By reeset / On / In MarcEdit

This update will have four significant changes to three specific algorithms that are high use — so I wanted to give folks a heads up.

1) Merge Records — I’ve updated the process in two ways.  

   a) Users can now change the data in the dropdown box to a user-defined field/subfield combination.  At present, you have defined options: 001, 020, 022, 035, marc21.  You will now be able to specify another field/subfield combination (must be the combination) for matching.  So say you exported your data from your ILS, and your bibliographic number is in a 907$b — you could change the textbox from 001 to 907$b and the tool will now utilize that data, in a control number context — to facilitate matching.  

   b) This meant making a secondary change.  When I shifted to using the MARC21 method, I removed the ability for the algorithm to collapse multiple records of the same type with the merge file into the source.  For example, after the change to the marc21 algorithm, in the following scenario, the following would be true:

 source 1 — record 1
merge 1 — matches record 1
merge 2 — matches record 2
merge 3 — matches record 3

 

The data moved into source 1 would be the data from merge1 — merge 3 wouldn’t be seen.  In the previous version prior to utilizing just the Marc21 option, users could collapse records when using the control number index match.  I’ve updated the merge algorithm, so that default is now to assume that all source data could have multiple merge matches.  This has the practical option of essentially allowing users to take a merge file with multiple duplicates, and merge all data into a single corresponding source file.  But this does represent a significant behavior change — so users need to be aware.

 

2) RDA Helper — 

   a) I’ve updated the error processing to ensure that the tool can fail a bit more gracefully

   b) Updating the abbreviation expansion because the expression I was using could miss values on occasion.  This will catch more content — it should also be a bit faster.

 

3) Linked Data tools — I included the ability to link to OCLC works ids — there were problems when the json outputted was too nested.  This has been corrected.

 

4) Bibframe tool — I’ve updated the mapping used to the current LC flavor.

 

Updates can be found on the downloads page (Windows/Linux) or via the automated update tool.

Direct Links: