I’ve posted a new update for all versions of MarcEdit, and it’s a large one. It might not look like it from the outside, but it represents close to 3 1/2 months of work. The big change is related to the inclusion of a more detailed change log. Users can turn on logging and see, at a low level, the actual changes made to specific data elements. I’ve also added some additional logging enhancement features to allow users to extract just changed records, or enhance the log files with additional data. For more information, see my next post on the new logging process.
The full change log:
* Enhancement: Z39.50: Sync’ng changes made to support Z39.50 servers that are sending records missing proper encoding guidelines. I’m seeing a lot of these from Voyager…I fixed this in one context in the last update. This should correct it everywhere.
* Enhancement: MARCEngine: 008 processing was included when processing MARCXML records in MARC21 to update the 008, particularly the element to note when a record has been truncated. This is causing problems when working with holdings records in MARCXML – so I’ve added code to further distinguish when this byte change is needed.
* Enhancement: MarcEdit About Page: Added copy markers to simplify capturing of the Build and Version numbers.
* Enhancement: Build New Field: The tool will only create one field per record (regardless of existing field numbers) unless the replace existing value is selected.
* Enhancement: Swap Field Function: new option to limit swap operations if not all defined subfields are present.
* Bug Fix: MARCValidator: Potential duplicates were being flagged when records had blank fields (or empty fields) in the elements being checked.
* Update: MarcEditor: UI responsiveness updates
* New Feature: Logging. Logging has been added to the MarcEditor and supports all global functions currently available via the task manager.
* New Feature: MarcEditor – Log Manager: View and delete log files.
* New Feature: MarcEditor – Log Manager: Advanced Toolset. Ability to enhance logs (add additional marc data) or use the logs to extract just changed records.
You can download the update directly from the website at: http://marcedit.reeset.net/downloads or you can use the automated downloader in the program.
One last note, on the downloads page, I’ve added a directly listing that will provide access to the most previous 6.2 builds. I’m doing this partly because some of these changes are so significant, that there may be behavior changes that crop up. If something comes up that is preventing your work – uninstall the application and pull the previous version from the archive and then let me know what isn’t working.