MarcEdit Update Notes

By reeset / On / In BibFrame, MarcEdit

MarcEdit Update: All Versions

Over the past several weeks, I’ve been working on a wide range of updates related to MarcEdit. Some of these updates have dealt with how MarcEdit handles interactions with other systems, some of these updates have dealt with integrating the new bibframe processing into the toolkit, and some of these updates have been related to adding more functionality around the programs terminal programs and SRU support. In all, this is a significant update that required the addition of ~20k lines of code to the Windows version, and almost 3x that to the MacOs version (as I was adding SRU support). In all, I think the updates provide substantial benefit. The updates completed were as follows:

MacOS:

* Enhancement: SRU Support — added SRU support to the Z39.50 Client
* Enhancement: Z39.50/SRU import: Direct import from the MarcEditor
* Enhancement: Alma/Koha integration: SRU Support
* Enhancement: Alma Integration: All code needed to add Holdings editing has been completed; TODO: UI work.
* Enhancement: Validator: MacOS was using older code — updated to match Windows/Linux code (i.e., moved away from original custom code to the shared validator.dll library)
* Enhancement: MARCNext: Bibframe2 Profile added
* Enhancement: BibFrame2 conversion added to the terminal
* Enhancement: Unhandled Exception Handling: MacOS handles exceptions differently — I created a new unhandled exception handler to make it so that if there is an application error that causes a crash, you receive good information about what caused it.

Couple of specific notes about changes in the Mac Update.

Validation – the Mac program was using an older set of code that handled validation. The code wasn’t incorrect, but it was out of date. At some point, I’d consolidated the validation code into its own namespace and hadn’t updated these changes on the Mac side. This was unfortunate. Anyway, I spent time updating the process so the all versions now share the same code and will receive updates at the same pace.

SRU Support – I’m not how I missed adding SRU support to the Mac version, but I had. So, while I was updating ILS integrations to support SRU when available, I added SRU support to the MacOS.

BibFrame2 Support – One of the things I was never able to get working in MarcEdit’s Mac version was the Bibframe XQuery code. There were some issues with how URI paths resolved in the .NET version of Saxon. Fortunately, the new bibframe2 tools don’t have this issue, so I’ve been able to add them to the application. You will find the new option under the MARCNext area or via the command-line.

Windows/Linux:

* Enhancement: Alma/Koha integration: SRU Support
* Enhancement: MARCNext: Bibframe2 Profile added
* Enhancement: Terminal: Bibframe2 conversion added to the terminal.
* Enhancement: Alma Integration: All code needed to add Holdings editing has been completed; TODO: UI work.
Windows changes were specifically related to integrations and bibframe2 support. On the integrations side, I enabled SRU support when available and wrote a good deal of code to support holdings record manipulation in Alma. I’ll be exposing this functionality through the UI shortly. On the bibframe front, I added the ability to convert data using either the bibframe2 or bibframe1 profiles. Bibframe2 is obviously the default.

With both updates, I made significant changes to the Terminal and wrote up some new documentation. You can find the documentation, and information on how to leverage the terminal versions of MarcEdit at this location: The MarcEdit Field Guide: Working with MarcEdit’s command-line tools

Downloads can be picked up through the automated updating tool or from the downloads page at: http://marcedit.reeset.net/downloads