Posted a MarcEdit update that includes the Batch Classification service. This service utilizes OCLC’s Classify API to generate call numbers for records. I originally noted the work on this tool while I was at code4lib here. The original tool was pretty simple – it was created to examine a record, extract a control number, and simply query the API to see if a call number stem would be returned. After getting some feedback and questions, I’ve made some changes, updated the code and have created a tool that looks like the following:
- Ability to add a call number to either a selected record or all records a file.
- Ability to select from either dewey or library of congress classifications.
- Ability to calculate dates and cutters. MarcEdit will utilize the date found in the 008 and generate a cutter up to 4 characters in length for a particular call number
- Ability to conditionally insert items based on the presence of other call number fields.
- Ability to set the field that the generated call number data should be placed.
- Very granular control data extraction and normalization. Data is extracted from the following fields:
- OCLC Number: 001, 035, 776$w$z
- LCCN: 010, 776$w$z
- ISBN: 020$a$z
- ISSN: 022$a$z
- UPC: 024$a
I imagine at some point, there will be additional functionality added to this tool, but I think that this will be a good place to start.