While I was looking through my web stats the other day, I realized that for the first time, I was able to get a rough look at how often MarcEdit gets utilized during a normal day. A few months ago, I added the capability for MarcEdit to automatically check for updates. This has been really well received (and has made management of new releases much easier) – but one of the unintended side affects, is that when that version check occurs, a hit gets generated on the web server. While I don’t have direct access to my log files (thanks to University policy) – I can get rough hit counts on specific files, coupled with reports on unique users and a nifty little map that shows the country where hits were generated. And while it’s not a tremendous amount of information, it’s very cool to have just that. I’ve always been able to see how often the program gets downloaded (just over 10k times monthly) – but now can get a rough idea of usage as well. Looking at the last two days (March 22 and 23rd) – MarcEdit was utilized by 2,351 unique users, across 59 countries. This surprises me – and is slightly humbling – to think that this many users have found and trust MarcEdit to help them with their daily work. It also helps me to validate the work that has gone into the development of this application. I’ve worked on MarcEdit publicly for nearly 10 years now, and have had the opportunity to meet and work with hundreds of individuals because of it. It’s always been my sincere hope that MarcEdit would be/and will continue to be helpful to the library community – and I’d like to think that it has been.
Couple of other fun MarcEdit facts:
- Lines of Code to the MarcEdit.exe application (UI code primarily): 55,116 lines
- Lines of Code in the MARCEngine (including translations): 17,092
- Total Lines of Code to the MarcEdit application/Libraries (minus ancillary tools): 574,271 lines of code
- Total lines (including ancillaries): ~700,000 lines